• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How to Save Poses in Daz Studio

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Skylab was asking about this in the other thread, and I promised that I would put this together. This is just a quick how-to for saving a pose preset in Studio.

I think a couple of quick notes on building poses is necessary first --

I don't know how others do it, but when I am building my poses in DS, I make sure not to use the "body" part of the figure to do any translation work. I always select the "hip" body part when I need to move or rotate the figure around the x/y/z axis. The reason for this is because you don't want your pose to send the figure flying back to the Zero starting point in the scene when someone applies it.

This is important, because if someone has just spent three hours getting their scene arranged and their figure into position, the last thing they want when they go to apply your pose, is to have their figure suddenly pull a Houdini and do a disappearing act on them. ;)

So. Always use the "hip" body part for any needed translations or rotations. This will allow the end user to apply your pose without having to go play Find Waldo afterwards.

The second thing of note about building poses in Studio --

Don't save the morphorms/posing morphs. This would be things like eyes side-to-side, hand grasps, finger spreads, etc. You don't want these saved, really. I know some folks build their poses using these posing morphs, but ideally, for the human figures at least, I prefer to be posing the fingers and hands by their individual body parts. In the case of our Dusk, Dawn, and Baby Luna, this goes for their individual toes as well, if your pose requires it. The reason I don't use these posing morphs when I build my poses, is because it can complicate things later on for the end user.

Now, we're going to assume that you have your pose built, and your figure is positioned the way you want it for the save to the library. So, moving forward with the actual save process now...

1.) Go to your SCENE tab. Make sure your figure is selected.

2.) Now go to your CONTENT LIBRARY tab. Navigate to the place inside of the library that you want to save the pose. If need be, you can create a new folder to save the pose to.

3.) Once you're looking at the folder that you want the pose saved to, look down to the bottom LEFT hand corner of your content library window. Find the plus sign (+), and click that. A fly-up menu will open.

4.) Select "POSE PRESET" from the menu options :

upload_2016-2-13_21-37-21.png

5.) This will open a windows dialogue box. Read the folder name in the dialogue box, just to make sure that it's going to save the pose in the right place. If it's showing the wrong folder, go ahead and navigate via the windows dialogue to the right folder. Type in a name for your pose, and hit "SAVE."

upload_2016-2-13_21-38-58.png

6.) Now, a new box will open in the Studio interface. This is your "Pose Preset Save Options" window :

upload_2016-2-13_21-40-4.png

7.) By default, when saving a new pose, everything is always collapsed. You see the little white triangle next to the figure's name? Click that in order to expand the list.

upload_2016-2-13_21-40-58.png

8.) Now, you begin de-selecting the things you do NOT want included in the Pose preset. The first thing I do here, is UN-check "General," "Hidden," and "Pose Controls." Always.

Then I expand the "Hip" body part :

upload_2016-2-13_21-42-29.png

9.) Now, because I'm using Genesis 1 for this particular pose preset, I know where all the stuff is that I do NOT want saved as part of the pose. LOL. If you're not familiar with the layout in this part of things, you might want to spend some time just clicking through everything to see what is contained where, until you're comfortable with, or at least familiar with, how things are laid out. Each figure is a little different...

I do not want to save any Posing Morph information with this pose. I also do not want to save any EYE or MOUTH translations, just in case the end user has set up a facial expression that they're happy with. So I'm going to expand the whole shebang all the way out, clicking on the triangle next to Abdomen, and just continuing on until I have all of the head expanded.

Then, I'm going to UN-check the Right Eye, Left Eye, and the POSE CONTROLS sections for the head :

upload_2016-2-13_21-46-16.png

10.) Now, you see where the RIGHT COLLAR and LEFT COLLAR are listed? In the case of Genesis 1, because I've saved a zillion poses for this figure, I already know there are additional POSE CONTROLS for the hands. So starting at the collars, I am going to expand all the way down to the hands, and then UN-check the POSE CONTROLS for each hand :

upload_2016-2-13_21-48-20.png

Yes, the list can get quite a bit lengthy on this part, but to save poses correctly, we really should go through and click off all of these things. Otherwise my poses will muck up someone's hard work on a facial expression or scene positioning.

Once you've UN-checked the POSE CONTROLS for the hands and head parts, you can go ahead and scroll back up until you see the ABDOMEN body part. Click the triangle again to collapse this part of the list, if it's easier for your eyes to follow.

11.) Now, you want to start EXPANDING the list again, beginning from the PELVIS body part. Go all the way to the feet, because like with the hands, in my case, Genesis 1 also has POSE CONTROLS on it's feet. So expand all the way down to the feet, and UN-check the POSE CONTROLS for each foot :

upload_2016-2-13_21-51-32.png

12.) Now, for a "full body pose," I am actually done with the preset save options. Make sure that "Compress File" at the bottom of the options window is UNCHECKED when you save! If for whatever reason you ever need to go in and edit the text of the file, you will NOT be able to do this if the file was saved with compression ON, and Daz Studio does by default, save with compression ON, until you turn that off.

So, you'll notice that "Compress File" in my screenshot above is NOT selected. I've already chosen all the body parts and UN-checked the posing controls and full-body translations. I'm good to go, this is ready to save.

So... at this point, you can go ahead and click on the ACCEPT button on the bottom right of the options window :

upload_2016-2-13_21-53-58.png

Your pose is now saved for distribution, and the new icon should appear in the folder in your Content Library, colored in blue and with a big "NEW" marker printed on it :

upload_2016-2-13_21-55-27.png

If you click the icon, the blue color and the "NEW" marker will go away.

That's the basics of saving a new pose to the DS content library. To distribute the pose, you just navigate to the folder in your Windows Explorer, and make sure you collect both the "Pose.duf" and the "Pose.duf.png" files for packaging and distribution. ;)

Hope this helps.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hope it helps, Sanbie. :)

I wanted to make one last, final note on the save process, regarding saving PARTIAL poses.

For saving a partial pose, you would go through and do the same thing as what was done in the first post here. However, sometimes it's easiest to just UN-check the BASE figure name, and simply expand the list out and SELECT the specific body parts for saving.

I usually distribute at LEAST an upper/lower partial with my poses, so I make use of that trick a lot myself. It saves me a TON of time... rather than UN-checking a gazillion body parts, I can just uncheck the whole figure, and then expand everything out, select ONLY the bits I want saved for a partial pose. This does speed the process up a little bit for saving partials.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Well done Seliah, informative and thorough...you'd make a good teacher. I think I may have said that before...not sure though so if I'm repeating myself feel free to ignore it...

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Well done Seliah, informative and thorough...you'd make a good teacher. I think I may have said that before...not sure though so if I'm repeating myself feel free to ignore it...

LOL. Yes, you've mentioned it to me before. I've been told this off and on for years, even offline by people around me. Truth is, I wouldn't have the patience to stand in a classroom full of kids or adults and try to do this... ;)

I can type these things up without a problem. But once I've typed them up and put them out there, it's up to people to read and follow directions. I don't mind answering questions when someone is stuck on something or needs a little extra help with some part of the tutorial. But to try and get me to stand up in front of a whole group of people in real life?

Yeah.... that doesn't go well. I sort of blank out. ;)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
lol...that wouldn't work with kids, they wouldn't let you as they ask lots of questions.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
lol...that wouldn't work with kids, they wouldn't let you as they ask lots of questions.

I know it! LOL :) But with adults, it mostly can... depending on the "adults"... and that's in quotation marks for a reason. ;)

But yeah. I wouldn't do well trying to run a classroom. I'm too much of a lone wolf. I don't like large groups. At all. :laugh:

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Great tutorial for DS users and those Poser users that are curious about the process. Sometimes they are a pretty easy save and sometimes, if your using expressions and what not it can be a bit more work but totally worth the time spent!

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Great tutorial for DS users and those Poser users that are curious about the process. Sometimes they are a pretty easy save and sometimes, if your using expressions and what not it can be a bit more work but totally worth the time spent!

The pose preset saving process was one of the hardest things for me to get a handle on when I first migrated from Poser to DS, I have to admit. The nuances and how the software behaved when saving the poses was just so different from what I was used to, that it threw me for a loop at first! It took me a couple of weeks to really get comfortable with how to save a proper full-body pose in DS. And it took me about another month or two to get comfortable with how to save partials!

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Afternoon Seliah,

Hmm....... I think I'm doing something wrong when I save the poses. I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason when I reapply the pose it doesn't load in the position I want it. The pose is there, but it's like up or down on the floor. It's a climbing pose. No matter what I try it loads the leg into the floor.

I will let you take a look at what I have so far. I don't want to go any farther if I'm not getting this down right.

Last edited:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hi, NA. :)

It sounds like you might - maybe - have some values set on the "body" translations? If you are using the control+D to get him on the floor, it will assign a body translation, and this will affect the resulting pose.

My best suggestion without being able to see what you're doing on your screen... :D It really sounds like either a HIP or a BODY translation (Y-axis) is holding a value that you don't want.

Check the Body...

General --> Translation --> Y Axis, X Axis, Z Axis should all be set to a Zero value.

Then you adjust the figure to the floor via the HIP body part's Y-Translation. Then, when saving, make sure you do NOT select those on the save dialogue :

upload_2016-3-23_16-11-19.png

In the save dialogue, you would need to UN-check "Translation" where it's located under the "Transforms" section.

From what you're describing, it just sounds like you have a full body translation set that at a value other than Zero, so you might want to double check that, and then make sure when you save, that Figure --> General --> Transforms --> Translation is NOT checked.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Oh ok, I see what you are saying!! Hmm... yeah, probably need to go in there and check those too.

Thanks again!

Last edited: