• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How to install and find your HiveWire 3D content in DAZ Studio

Alisa

RETIRED HW3D QAV Director (QAV Queen Bee)
Staff member
QAV-BEE
We've had a number of new folks to DAZ Studio and HiveWire products who have sent in support tickets asking for help in installing and finding their products. I decided to start this thread where people can find that information, and if needed, ask additional questions. That way, they can get more help from experienced members of the community. :)

So, if you have questions about installing and finding your HW content which are not answered in this post, ask in this thread :)

1-Unzipping things correctly.

First you want to do is find where, on your computer, you have put the Library files for DAZ Studio :). It would have been created when you installed DS. That's where you'll find folders including /data/People/Runtime/, etc. You can choose what to name this...I think the default is My Library. You can create new libraries as well. Many people find it helpful to have different libraries for different things and there are as many ways to organize your libraries as there are people.. this is discussed elsewhere. You just have to point DS to it.

Then, unzip the HiveWire 3D content into whichever Content Library you want to use it in.

The way I usually install content is to open up 2 Windows Explorer windows and drag the files from the zip exactly to where I want them...or, I unzip to a temporary folder and THEN drag things over.

One of the images below shows what the Unzipped files will look like in Windows Explorer (can't help with Mac but I'm sure it's similar)

If there is support for Smart Content (not all products have it) in DAZ Studio, there will be a folder called Runtime\Support in the product. This will allow the product to appear in the Smart Content tab.

If you use DAZ Studio AND Poser, you can choose to put the files all together in one folder or have different ones (for example DAWN-DS and DAWN-PSR). I keep them all in one place - less duplication of textures and easier to find things for me.

2-Telling DAZ Studio where the content is

See the images below for how to do this.

Adding A Content Library to DAZ Studio1.jpg

Adding A Content Library to DAZ Studio2.jpg

Runtime structure example DS.jpg

Finding Library location in DS.jpg

********************************************************************************************

Added 2-3-2021 - I've also added this as a new post at the current end of the thread

HELP, ALL I SEE ARE GREY BOXES!!!

I'm adding some info here that has come as a result of support issues that I've dealt with over the years.

People have had issues where they think they've installed their content correctly, only to find that when they try to bring in the model, all they get are grey boxes.

Here's what is almost certainly the issue. You have to bring in EITHER the folders at the level of the data/Animals/Runtime folders if you are adding the files to an already existing Library, OR choose the one DIRECTLY ABOVE those folders if you are adding it as a new Library. I'm posting an image I did for one customer last year to show this, and hope it will be helpful. I'm adding this to the first post of the thread, too:

Fixing your library.jpg

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Don't forget to mention that they will need to scan known directories for content. I'm sure you're about to...

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Actually, not sure what you mean? I've never done that.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
If you want to use categories you need to go to the same menu you had above and scan known directories for content. I've noticed recently that even the Daz and Poser Libraries don't automatically show up if you install an item while in DS. I use it all the time...as I categorise stuff inside DS.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I think I may have done that in my older versions of DS initially, but rarely did it afterwards. Then again, I never categorized my content as some do, and never used Smart Content.

In Poser I just hit the refresh icon, and anything I've installed while Poser was open, will then show up.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
That's kind of what I thought - it has to do with Categories - like Miss B, I don't use either Smart Content or Categories. Haven't ever had a Poser or DS library not show up when following the steps I noted.

In any case, thanks, Pen - that will be helpful for those who DO use categories :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I have had some not show up until I have closed and reopened, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses categories...

Mivan

Admirable
Missing content is an ongoing problem; sometimes not showing up for days after install. Would be nice if Daz and Poser both worked out the bugs in their software before going on to new versions.

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
Hi, Mivan -

Not sure what you mean...Are there some of our products you're having issues with?

Lianam

Eager
Ok..so I have seen people talk about saving their daz content. I am going to assume it is the one where a person copy n pastes files manually and where dim downloads content to from the daz store. In my case the files would the one found under the 'My daz 3d library'. So then if something 'blows up' all a person has to do is copy n paste that safely saved folder right where DIM or yourself directs dim to for all items used in the daz 3d software. I also have everything saved in separate folders in my documents that under a named folder daz/dim does not have access to. Asking just to see what others are doing different than what I might be for sake of comparison. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
If you're using Categories you export your user data and if it ever goes up in smoke let DIM reinstall and then import your user data.

Lianam

Eager
Hmmm... I might have to chew on it some more. The light bulb is not quit going off yet. I am pretty green working with daz anyways yet. LOL

Alisa

Staff member
QAV-BEE
I don't use categories..If my data blew up I'd be sitting around reinstalling from a gazillion zip files :p

Mivan

Admirable
The categories tab does not show all products unfortunately but it does provide a quicky search tool. If not you can use the search function but I have a LOT of content and the search function takes much longer and may not find the content at all. I have in fact had it find content and then 20 minutes later not be able to find the same content. I have also had it find only some content of a specific search filter or not at all.

Lianam

Eager
I was thinking about migrating my content over to the lap top without going through the painstaking task for doing all non-daz content file by file with the exception of daz's. I may experiment.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
The categories tab does not show all products unfortunately but it does provide a quicky search tool. If not you can use the search function but I have a LOT of content and the search function takes much longer and may not find the content at all. I have in fact had it find content and then 20 minutes later not be able to find the same content. I have also had it find only some content of a specific search filter or not at all.

No it doesn't initially show all products but it's very easy to set up your own categories. I have all my content categorised and add to them when I buy new stuff. None of my categories are under default they are directly under categories as I don't like the way Daz categorises items. I like it to suit me so I set it up myself.

Categories/Enviroments
Figures
Hair
Lights
etc.... with further categories under those so under figures I have
Figures/Animals
Creatures
People
Toons
Robots

Under People I have

People/Baby Luna
Dawn
Dusk
Genesis etc....I even have my legacy figures in there.