• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

How should I lower the polys with this?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Hey all, I've been playing around in Zbrush and trying out a new technique for creating clothing after watching some Michael Pavolich videos. He showed a method where he started with a cylinder but instead of using move to push it around to make clothing he used the trim curve. Which I used to make this bathing suit for Dawn. See the image below. My problem is that after adding the tubes around the borders using frame borders that it's 98000 points. When I try remesher...the tubes disappear. I know that I'm probably missing something really simple...any ideas? I haven't used curves much before so I'm sure it's just me...
Added another image this time in DS with it rigged via transfer utility.
I tidied the edges up so less lumpiness and I split the parts and then merged down to see if that would stop the initial issue but it doesn't.

I need a way to connect the trim to the suit so it doesn't come apart when posing in DS.

The other thing I could try is to extrude the trim around the neckline and other openings and add some thickness but I did want to use the curve tubes if I can. They look really nice...

bathing suit copy.jpg

Another image this time in DS
In action bathing suit.jpg

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Hey Dylan, I'll give creasing a try. I did try using keep the borders but that didn't work.
I have been rethinking it and tried removing the tubes and using extrude which seems to work.

I've also discovered how useful the loop button in Geometry and the polish groups function in deformation are when used together to help me get a clean loop around the edge of openings. I'm just up but I'll post some images later when I'm awake.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Yeah...I thought about that and tried it with it on and off.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong and would dearly love to be able to use tubes on the edges of clothing as it's so easy to do, at the moment though it brings the poly count up and also I need a way to fix it to the edge because in DS when you use smoothing the two parts will separate.

The benefit of having smoothing on in DS is it gives you collision which means when you pose the figure you don't get any poke thru.

I'll give the creasing a try shortly and see if that helps and I'll also post some images of what I've been doing as an alternative.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So I tried using crease but still had the issue with it not being joined as a mesh.
creasing added.jpg

So I went back to basics...used Zremesher until I got a nice result around the edges and then used polygroups around all the edges and then extruded using polygroup border which gave me a nice finish. So I took it into DS and then the fun began. Image of it unrigged but with surfaces.
bathing suit  unrigged .jpg

As soon as I rigged it I started to get some blackish spots around the trim which show up as discolouration on the trim.
bathing suit  rigged .jpg

Played around with the mesh resolution settings and discovered it wasn't as bad with higher resolution so I went in and added some more edges and managed to rig without black spots. Mesh currently has 6,300 faces which I figure isn't too bad. So now I need to play with the weight mapping and creating some custom morphs before adjusting it for Luna also.
Thanks for the suggestions...
rigged.jpg

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
That's a good result. making the main body a separate polygroup and creasing the whole border would stop it breaking away. Also you could then weld the edges of the body to the trim. Thats the thing about ZBrush, there is always a way to get it done.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
Actually Pen, looking at the image with the broken border seems to show that the area is sunk into the characters body. You can see three edges going all the way to the tubes, suggesting it is connected. Are you sure those few polys just weren't sunk into Dawn's body?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Nope it wasn't sinking...I turned her invisible to check. All fixed in Zbrush now except for morphs, haven't done much in a while but I have started to fine tune the weight maps.