• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

HiveWire 'Depth of Field' Render Challenge: CLOSED

luannemarie

Busy Bee
OOOps, Sorry for the double posting but I forgot to mark this as,
"Final Render"
Title: In the Beginning
In the Beginning 103z.jpg

Darryl

Adventurous
I just tried creating a '...depth-map for postwork that respects the transparency...' as I mentioned in the previous post. A picture speaks a thousand words, so...

First, I had to do two separate Z Depth renders, one with the hair visible and one with it invisible, and then I created a mask by switching off all background objects and lights and rendering. I had to do a little fiddle with the mask in GIMP (invert it, overlay it on a black background, and tweak levels), and then I used it to combine the two depth maps as shown below:

View attachment 12410

I then used the resultant depth map along with my basic render (without DoF) and the Focus Blur plugin. Here's a comparison of a straight PP2014 render with DoF, and my postwork DoF version:

View attachment 12411

I'm now quite happy to use either method !

I don't know if anyone mentioned the Advanced Render Settings plugin by Shaderworks. It will create a Z depth pass that respects the transparency of hair and other items (as well as many other functions). It's still available at RDNA.

Zaarin

Brilliant
"Why's He Waving So Frantically?"
(final render)
View attachment 13604
PP2014 render, no postwork (so I used the built-in DoF. I set focal length to 1.4 to get a really narrow dof))
(I saw 1955's "Revenge Of The Creature"and my earlier plans went out the window... :)
The Poser Creep (I think that's what he's called, right?) has always reminded me of those awful lakelurks from Fallout: New Vegas. ;)

3dcheapskate

Engaged
That's a great render Rae, and yes the challenge ended on the 26th.
Ha! Looks like I was caught out by that too since my entry was posted on 27th at 8.48pm - I think that's in S.E. Asia time, but even taking into account the time zone I still missed the deadline.
Never mind, this was an inspiring challenge (which is one of the main purposes of a challenge) and I've added a few new tools to my render toolbox because of it :)

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
And let the judging commence! The Render Challenge judging album has been set up and Pen and Dawn will soon be in the throes of it all. Good luck to all the entrants :)