• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

RELEASED Hivewire Big Cat Has Begun!

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
The Snow Leopard is different enough I'd really like to see a real FBM morph made by Chris- my dial spin one is kinda lame:) But yeah I really want Tigger first:) I've been starting on maps by using the lion sans mane for now and Chris and I have been discussing the best way to approach the "mane/neck ruff" for the tiger UV/map wise as well as shaping.

Yeah, I need to get back on our Tiger. My wife and I have been busy moving this last month, and we're finally in our new place as of last night. In a couple days we'll be completely out of our old place and I can focus on modeling again. Most of my efforts will be focused on Dawn 2.0. I'm almost at a point that I can pass our new mesh over to Paul to begin the updated rigging process. But I will make time to work in our Tiger morph too, or for that matter whatever else Laurie would like a morph for.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Oh my, been there done that with the moving.
I downsized my stuff so it all fits nicely in my room and everyone else downsized too.
a neighbor from our old place got a lot of stuff we were leaving behind.

I am eagerly waiting for Dawn 0.2 but wish i could get the big cat.
Too many other thing going on to do much with the big cat if i had it...lol.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Moving. Feh. I haven't actually moved, but I've done a handful of moves-in-place over the last 40+ years. It's probably marginally better (mainly because there are no time limits) but still a pita. About 40-60 percent through one of those now. Place looks a lot clearer, but there is still SO much stuff that needs to go away.

Harimau

Eager
I am very glad to note that the tiger is back on track. And maybe the Snow Leopard and Cheetah next on line. The Cheetah, in particular, is a very different cat - the only running cat in existence today, although there are a few others in the past like the Giant Cheetah (Acinonyx pardinensis) and the American Cheetah (Miracinonyx trumani).

A normal patterned Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus):
Cheetah_Umfolozi_SouthAfrica_MWegmann_small.jpg

A King Cheetah:
4641824990_8e4b339f04_b.jpg

Giant Cheetah (Acinonyx pardinensis):
main-qimg-acinonyx pardinensis.jpg

Size Comparison:
maxresdefault.jpg

American Cheetah (Miracinonyx trumani):
miracinonyx-y-prong-baja.jpg

A Sabertooth Cheetah? Is there such a cat? Yes indeed, there were! Yoshi garevskii and Yoshi minor, members of the Tribe Metailurini in the Subfamily Machairodontinae (Sabertooth cat family) were such cats. The Metailurins are sometimes referred to as "False Sabertooths" as their canines are smaller than that of the "True Sabertooths".

Yoshi minor (formally described from incomplete material as Metailurus parvulus):
metailurus-parvulus-skel-and-life-transparent-baja.jpg

Yoshi garevskii :
metailurus-yoshi-baja.jpg

For those of you who are interested see: Metailurus or Yoshi? Meet the real cats behind the names

Harimau

Eager
Something Interesting - Lionesses with Manes:

Five lionesses in Botswana have been spotted with manes. Does it confer an advantage for the pride? Lions protect the pride from attacks by lions from other prides, so having several lionesses masquerading as lions will certainly deter other lions from trying to take over the pride! The pride will also probably preside over a bigger territory.

A Maned Lioness.
mma-moririr-photo-credit-simon-dures.jpg

Another Maned Lioness.
female-5-photo-credit-jessica-vitale.jpg

A Lion and a Maned Lioness - the Lion is much bigger.
lioness-2.jpg

For more information see: Five wild lionesses grow a mane and start acting like males.

WillowRaven

Enthusiast
Maybe the Egyptians had seen one, and being so rare, assumed divinity.

Is there an option for this rarity with the HW lions? That would be awesome :D

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I'll bet that's exactly what happened, too. Or more probably, they managed to kill one and were astonished at what they'd got.

I can't see why one couldn't apply the mane to the lioness. She's just a morph, after all. The mane is made to apply to the base.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Something Interesting - Lionesses with Manes:

Five lionesses in Botswana have been spotted with manes. Does it confer an advantage for the pride? Lions protect the pride from attacks by lions from other prides, so having several lionesses masquerading as lions will certainly deter other lions from trying to take over the pride! The pride will also probably preside over a bigger territory.

A Maned Lioness.
View attachment 51158

Another Maned Lioness.
View attachment 51159

A Lion and a Maned Lioness - the Lion is much bigger.
View attachment 51160

For more information see: Five wild lionesses grow a mane and start acting like males.
...or maybe lions are now subscribing to identity politics or third gender inentifyers? ;)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Sooooo....

For folks wondering why I haven't been updating efforts on our Dawn 2, I've been REMODELING the mane on our Tiger. I'm almost there now. Just a couple more well placed hair sheets, then I'll move to creating the UVs tomorrow.

If all goes well I should have this to Laurie for mapping in a matter of a few days.

Here are several screen grabs of my efforts.

TigerWork23.JPG

TigerWork24.JPG

TigerWork25.JPG

TigerWork26.JPG

TigerWork27.JPG

TigerWork27A.JPG

TigerWork28.JPG

TigerWork29.JPG

TigerWork30.JPG