• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Help need 3D paint program

Nod

Adventurous
Hmm well after having a look on their forum, and finding some one else asking the same thing, it looks like the bottom line is it needs a net connection at random times to phone home. Nope not going to try it.
That's weird, I waited nearly a week for a new router, and never had any trouble at all. So it must do it monthly or something. Or it did it at times when I didn't happen to be using it.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You know, I downloaded that back in January, and never got around to installing it. Hmmmm . . . . .

Well, it seems they had an update in August, so I just downloaded the latest version. Maybe this time I'll get to install and use it. ;)

Darryl

Adventurous
I'm still a fan of 3D coat. It's relatively cheap, and robust. Painting in Blender seemed... counter intuitive. I'll go ahead and gripe/knash my teeth over the developers' religious ideologies before someone else does (have they no shame?). You can decide for yourself if your work is "ungodly".

D

Deleted member 325

You can decide for yourself if your work is "ungodly".
Having been raised Catholic I have been outright told quite often my artwork is "ungodly"... even those images of Angels I made for my mom (which I do not understand at all - they were angels). At this day and age, I mostly do it for myself - if people like it great, if not, meh.

Darryl

Adventurous
Having been raised Catholic I have been outright told quite often my artwork is "ungodly"... even those images of Angels I made for my mom (which I do not understand at all - they were angels). At this day and age, I mostly do it for myself - if people like it great, if not, meh.

Oh... in that case you may have to go with something else, lol.

theschell

Brilliant
Hexagon will also allow you to paint directly onto the models either by creating a new texture or adding painted details to an existing one. The paint tools in Hex can also paint displacements/bumps maps to match the textures, and can paint transparency layers. The paint tools have a full colour pallet, but can be used to paint from custom texture samples as well. You can access any texture samples in your library (like those generated through Filter Forge) and can use them as custom brushes in Hexagon...

Last edited:

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Hexagon will also allow you to paint directly onto the models either by creating a new texture or adding painted details to an existing one. The paint tools in Hex can also paint displacements/bumps maps to match the textures, and can paint transparency layers. The paint tools have a full colour pallet, but can be used to paint from custom texture samples as well. You can access any texture samples in your library (like those generated through Filter Forge) and can use them as custom brushes in Hexagon...
Wow another program I have gathering dust that dose more than I thought it did :oops: You wouldn't happen to have any tuts on this would you?

theschell

Brilliant
I don't off-hand... the tools themselves are in the same tool menu in Hexagon that you'd use to assign material zones and add uv maps. I'd write a tutorial for you, but I've been tied up in some major business dealings and haven't even had time for work on my own products for my store. I can see if I can find a few for you though, but can't make any promises...

When you load a model in Hex that already has textures, you can select a material and add a texture to it, or can generate a new blank texture from a number of preset sizes. From there you can go into the surfaces/mapping tools and access the paint tools to paint onto the new map or the ones you've loaded to modify. Saving out a copy of the model automatically also saves out any textures you've applied/created and any bump or displacements you've painted (just be sure not to save over the original obj when you save, you want the maps but not to replace the existing obj). As long as you haven't changed the actual uv mapping on the mesh the new textures will work on the original object...

I use Hexagon for all my own store products... I used the paint tools in Hexagon to paint the textures and bumps for this terrains set I'd been working on...
TerrainTest1.jpg

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
@theschell Thanks, I haven't had Hex installed for ages. I may just have to reinstall it and have a good look at it. Don't stress, I am in no real hurry as long as my current work flow keeps working I have time to look around and find a permanent solution :) Old buggy software is not your friend lol

theschell

Brilliant
Hex can be buggy, but if you can figure out how to deal with its quirks it's actually a very powerful modeller and tool set in its own right. I don't use any other program for my 3d modelling, but to use Hex well you also need a program like UV Mapper... the biggest issue I have with Hex is that its own internal UV mapping sucks and it's easier to use a program like UV Mapper to lay out your texture maps before going back into Hex to paint. Having said that, Hex has some great tools for fixing issues with reversed normals and bad faces. It has some nice abilities to alter individual points and verts in a mesh, and can also be used to create and generate morphs through the DS-Hex bridge and the deformers in DS...

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Hex can be buggy, but if you can figure out how to deal with its quirks it's actually a very powerful modeller and tool set in its own right. I don't use any other program for my 3d modelling, but to use Hex well you also need a program like UV Mapper... the biggest issue I have with Hex is that its own internal UV mapping sucks and it's easier to use a program like UV Mapper to lay out your texture maps before going back into Hex to paint. Having said that, Hex has some great tools for fixing issues with reversed normals and bad faces. It has some nice abilities to alter individual points and verts in a mesh, and can also be used to create and generate morphs through the DS-Hex bridge and the deformers in DS...
Yeah that was part of why I uninstalled it, it was a bit too quirky lol but now I am using Silo for modeling and it can be just as bad. Since you mention Hex I have been thinking about that DS bridge and morphs too. I think I will just have to give it another go

theschell

Brilliant
The ability to create morphs is actually quite convenient... load your figure in DS, use the deformers to reshape your figure or make changes to appearance, then send it to Hexagon. Once it loads in Hexagon, send it back through the bridge to DS and it automatically generates the new morph(s) complete with control dials. Delete the deformers and save out a new CR2 and your new morph(s) are automatically saved into the CR2, or you can save a morph inj/remove pose if you have the exporter to do so. You can also send the figure through the bridge from DS to Hex, reshape the figure using the various vert/face/point tools, then send it back to DS through the bridge to generate the morph...

Also, there are a few quirks in Hexagon that actually can work in your favor.... if you know what you're doing with it. One such quirk in the save process can greatly reduce the file size of an obj (can cut the file size in half) without losing any of the details in the figure in the process... If you know what import/export settings to use...

quietrob

Extraordinary
I desperately need a new way to paint on 3D models, seem fixing, adding tattoos over seems etc are the main uses I need.
I really need some thing that lets me save with a transparent background as well as all the normal suspects. What ever program I end up with needs to be able to run without a internet connection, so Blacksmith 3D is out and I really don't want to go down the path of subscriptions either.
Cheaper the better as I don't have a lot to spend, ( read flat broke), but if it is mind blowingly amazing I will consider it :)
So what are your suggestions hivemind?
Cheers
Just pinging this thread because I have the same needs as The Dreamer. Blacksmith version 5 really isn't that friendly. I feel like I have to jump through hoops to actually paint on the obj and then generate a map. Tattoo's or in my case stickers was just an exercise in exasperation. Like the other programs mentioned, it might just be me. Familiarity counts. However, some programs are instantly useable to intuitiveness. That's what I'm looking for as well.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
@theschell Hi just came back to this as my 3D paint program finally gave up and was wondering if you ever did spot any 3D painting tuts for hex?

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I use Blender. It'is free (as everybody knows) and I learned how to paint in Blender with the tutorials that Jay Versluis has posted above and I highly recommend it.
Blender doesn't have so many brushes like others paid programs but you can paint over the seams and add textures and export to Photoshop or Gimp and finish it with more details.
Search for the Sickleyield's videos on youtube. She also uses Blender.
Sickle's been using blender since she was modding Elder Scroll games so she knows her stuff and her tutorials are really good.

I use Zbrush for 3D painting and that's quite expensive. I wonder if the core program which is cheaper has 3D painting? Might be worth a look.

IIRC Vaskania used Substance Painter and could probably answer any questions you have but I haven't seen her around recently.

MS Paint 3D? But seriously, during the Black Friday deals I became quite interested in 3D-Coat and watched some intro tutorials. Very like Zbrush, but without the mad interface. The 3D-Coat $99 Amateur licence does quietly allow commercial use for those earning less than $10k a year from it, when last heard of - but you'd need to check that point with their forums.

As for free, Armor Paint is an open-source standalone for PBR painting on 3D. You can 'build it' for free from the source code, or it's $20 pre-built on Gumroad. It's just had two very big updates.

As others have said, Daz Hexagon, currently free though old and buggy. There are several good long webinar tutorials for it, though I don't know if they cover painting on 3D.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I use Substance Painter, it's good :)
I did end up getting that and it is brilliant for making textures from scratch, a bit of a bear though for fixing seams on textures you have made in 2D though
MS Paint 3D? But seriously, during the Black Friday deals I became quite interested in 3D-Coat and watched some intro tutorials. Very like Zbrush, but without the mad interface. The 3D-Coat $99 Amateur licence does quietly allow commercial use for those earning less than $10k a year from it, when last heard of - but you'd need to check that point with their forums.

As for free, Armor Paint is an open-source standalone for PBR painting on 3D. You can 'build it' for free from the source code, or it's $20 pre-built on Gumroad. It's just had two very big updates.

As others have said, Daz Hexagon, currently free though old and buggy. There are several good long webinar tutorials for it, though I don't know if they cover painting on 3D.
I would rather not get another program if I have something that will do the job instead, why my ears pricked up with Hex as I have had it for years and not used it lol