• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Fantasy Textures and ideas for Harry

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I have an odd question, and don't really know where it goes, but since it involves my fantasy textures.... Can you save a bump without saving a texture, so you can use it with multiple textures. Say you had 3 levels of bumps, that create different looks to a texture, do you have to save them with every single texture that you want to use them? And if so, what do you save them as? Thanks!

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
And in the vein of more NOT dumb questions....My Harry is stuck in Foal mode. No matter which breed I choose to bring him into the scene in, he comes in a foal. And yes, I can adjust it, but it's annoying. I tried to save the asset with him big, but it didn't change anything, which of course, means I did something wrong. Any clues?

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
And for my encore, When do you put up a WIP thread in the "Show me the Honey" thread? After you are accepted? Just before you are published? When Alisa says you can ? lol.

I have an odd question, and don't really know where it goes, but since it involves my fantasy textures.... Can you save a bump without saving a texture, so you can use it with multiple textures. Say you had 3 levels of bumps, that create different looks to a texture, do you have to save them with every single texture that you want to use them? And if so, what do you save them as? Thanks!
Yes. Bumps are essentially texture maps, so save the 3 images, name accordingly. Create the matching pose files/material files for each texture. No idea about Studio (have to ask someone else), but for Poser you probably need to manually edit the pose files, so that they only affect the bump node, so that they can be added on top of the texture files w/o changing the texture.

And in the vein of more NOT dumb questions....My Harry is stuck in Foal mode. No matter which breed I choose to bring him into the scene in, he comes in a foal. And yes, I can adjust it, but it's annoying. I tried to save the asset with him big, but it didn't change anything, which of course, means I did something wrong. Any clues?
You're sure you have loaded the correct Harry base and not the Foal base in the first place??

Otherwise, use the REM files for the Foal and then resave Harry, probably under a different name like Harry2.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
In Daz you can save the bumps out in that way. Those tabs that are next to the object parts if you click on them then it will allow you to choose only which parts you want to save.

For Example: If I want to save only a transmap for the sleeves. I go to save as materials preset then the materials preset options menu will come up select the part you want to save - (I only want the sleeves so I click on that.) and those arrows on the left side expand into menus so just go down the list and un-check what you don't want saved but keep the bump setting checked and un-click all other parts of the object and then save the material. So you haven't saved any diffuse maps etc you should be able to apply the material file and then apply the saved bump map.

In Poser I assume that you would go into advanced material settings and delete out the nodes and mats you don't want. Then click on the bump node so that it is highlighted and then click the + sign to save the materials and then the save single material option and check the selected node option and save it out that way. Don't know for sure because I have never done it in Poser.

You can start a WIP thread when you start a new development project in the show me the honey section though you might want to label as per specific to categories IE Immortal Moments Coat textures for Harry or some such you don't have to label it like that it's just a suggestion to know what kind of things are located within the thread. Pommerlis' is What is Pommerlis Up To? Once your product is live in the store, then you will set up a product thread and that will contain links to your store content it's kind of like an advertisement thread. You can post images etc that promote your HW product there. You can also combine the two and just have one thread for everything like CWRW does.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
When you save to library in Poser it brings up a little screen which lets you choose single (mt5) or collection (mc6) and the you unselect all, reselect only those you want and save with whichever name you want. :)
In DS it is pretty much the same way but their screen is a bit looks a bit different.
It lets you deselect all or and select only what you want to save.
So if you want to save a bum map you can use on all similar models you five it a name like "fl-bump01hd" or similar.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Yes. Bumps are essentially texture maps, so save the 3 images, name accordingly. Create the matching pose files/material files for each texture. No idea about Studio (have to ask someone else), but for Poser you probably need to manually edit the pose files, so that they only affect the bump node, so that they can be added on top of the texture files w/o changing the texture.

I will give that a shot! Thanks!

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thank you Napalm and Faery_Light, I think my brain is wrapping around it now. I did the Poser versions previously, and did a separate setting for each and every set, which made a LOT of set. Having one set of bump adjustment for all 6 versions of the horn is much more economical for the zip file and my time!

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
You're sure you have loaded the correct Harry base and not the Foal base in the first place??

Otherwise, use the REM files for the Foal and then resave Harry, probably under a different name like Harry2.

Yeah, I'm sure, because if I load the Unicorn directly, it still loads it set as a foal unicorn.

Yeah, or I may uninstall Harry and reinstall and see if that fixes it, because I'm OCD like that! lol.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
And for my encore, When do you put up a WIP thread in the "Show me the Honey" thread? After you are accepted? Just before you are published? When Alisa says you can ? lol.

That's up to you and what you feel comfortable with. I know I have at least one WIP thread for something I haven't posted about in forever, because I don't have a lot of progress to show, but I like having the thread because it's a reminder to work on it. Some people don't do WIP threads at all, others like to do it early on to get feedback. It's just what you are comfortable with.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I already tried using the save altered asset and overwrite, and unfortunately, it didn't work. I may try it one more time, just for kicks.