• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Earl's WIPs

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
No, not you at all. It's been the past two months. And real or imagined, it's bumming me out. For an example of recently, I was going to do a tutorial on lighting in Poser in the SM forum. Apparently, someone, I won't call a name, took exception to that, and just decided to post a screen shot of the chapter page on Lighting, telling people to just read the manual. I started a tip thread, where advanced users could give the new people tips on how to make Poser easier to use. Same person decided to shut me down by posting the directions to the Poser Quick start tutorial. Actually, it was a pretty helpful tip, but the way he did it just seems to be like thumbing his nose at me. So, I've just pretty much shut up on line. I make a few posts here and there, but I think I'm going to just fade away for awhile. At least, I'll be concentrating more on left over projects I have in Blender.
Well, I think I know which posts (and poster) you're talking about, and I don't think he's doing as you think. If it's who I think, he's European, and English may not be his first language. That may be the reason his posts might seem not how he intended. There are several regular posters on the SM Poser forum who are not native English speakers, some very obvious, and some not so obvious, so I wouldn't worry about him putting you down, as he's usually very helpful in all the threads.

If you need to take a rest, do so, and finish those projects you've been working on, as a number of us want to see them finished. :)

eclark1894

Visionary
Drat! I'm thinking I should have thought this through for another month or two. This harness ain't no joke.

horsecart.png

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I have to agree with Dak. It looks like you're off to a good start. You can always put it aside and work on something else. Then come back and finish it. Sometimes taking a break is the best thing.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
yeah, I don't think a horse harness would be the easiest thing in the world to do, kudos for giving it a try
It takes about four hours to properly clean a full set of draft harness if you're doing it alone. Just the collar and its fittings, when dismantled, has six separate components or more. You'll need britching, by the way (the bit that goes around the back end of the horse) or you'll have no brakes for your cart.

If you want to try for some sort of collaboration, I can send you the harness parts I've got modelled myself, and a shedload of reference photos?

EDIT- found one picture of it. Haven't got a good shot of the hames- the bit that attaches around the neck and forms part of the assembled collar. It's still missing a ton of parts.
WIP 1.jpg

Last edited:

eclark1894

Visionary
It takes about four hours to properly clean a full set of draft harness if you're doing it alone. Just the collar and its fittings, when dismantled, has six separate components or more. You'll need britching, by the way (the bit that goes around the back end of the horse) or you'll have no brakes for your cart.

If you want to try for some sort of collaboration, I can send you the harness parts I've got modelled myself, and a shedload of reference photos?

EDIT- found one picture of it. Haven't got a good shot of the hames- the bit that attaches around the neck and forms part of the assembled collar. It's still missing a ton of parts.
View attachment 35224
And that's the toughest part of this whole thing, finding decent reference images.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
And that's the toughest part of this whole thing, finding decent reference images.
Photos of the real thing I can do. I have thousands (I am not exaggerating, I'm official photographer for a Heavy Horse organisation, I usually end up with over a thousand per show- Digital cameras are THE BEST, remember when there were only 24 frames on a roll of film?). What I don't have is a lot of American style harness- I'm in the UK. Some do use American-made harness, most don't. You'll be wanting singles harness for what we call Ladies' Cart. Like this?

Img_2510 (2).jpg Img_6477 (2).jpg

Edit: I've also got a few light horse reference photos, but if you have a collar then the draft horses will be fine as reference.

Edit 2: If you find the heavy horse photo in my media here, ignore it for what you're doing, that's full show harness which is another beastie altogether.

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
I don't want to upload too many here, if you've got an email address I can email a bunch more as reference? Accuracy is always good when possible, and good references help a lot.

eclark1894

Visionary
Actually, I think I've found some really good images of the collars and backstraps. I just have to be a little bit more specific and name the part of the harness I'm looking for. Like this horse Collar tug strap. Or this horse harness with tug straps.

horsey.jpg

2400harnessCOPY%20copy-01.jpg

Last edited: