• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

CWRW Product Previews

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
I believe it is because they believe in quantity instead of quality. I have not been very impressed by some of the recent animal models that have come out from them. Not to mention the model character morphs you have to buy now to get different body shape and such.
Those are a great addition in support of the base figures. Like the creature creator morph and texture packs for instance. I wish the earlier ones were as good as the new ones for D/S and the new genesis figures. When Mil1/2/3 and 4 were released they called them unimesh and led us to believe you could use the morphs interactively. That of course was NOT true. M2 was sorta compatible with Steph 2 but Steph 2 was not compatible with V2 nor were the textures (except M2 and S2 for instance). It would have been great if one could use V4 textures and morphs with M4 figures or vice versa. But that would have meant not getting as many sales for separate figure add-ons. Make sense business wise but spare us the wordage of uni-mesh and all the implied promises of compatibility.
DAZ Has always been the creator outlet that "swallowed the mule but choked on the tail". In other words releasing fairly nice characters but never really great repeatedly dropping the ball on details that made the difference. Don't get me wrong I left thousands of dollars in their coffers over the years and now kinda glad I don't anymore. But as much of their products as I own and satisfactorally used many many more left me angry frustrated and grossly dissatisfied.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Easy, the vilify your great work to keep possible consumers interest negative but they meantime have to sell their....well....something. So they sell their tired old animals. Except for a few most fall much short to yours Chris and those D/S users have to use something....right? I am NOT saying that to blow smoke up your....well...where it does NOT belong! Just stating my facts as I believe them! ;)

Are you not aware that the Hivewire figures work in DS. And people wonder why its a common misconception that Hivewire is Poser only, a myth probably bore out by all the negativity towards Daz and DS.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE
Not skill but yes quantity...but that is also mostly quantity of creative crew to offer a lot of stuff in support of any character released. So?! Yes, they have many breeds but if they are clunky functionally every breed is clunky functionally. DAZ has a long history of NOT really completely supporting figures (also gotta establish your meaning of supporting) once released in my experience and I was with them since they were NOT DAZ but Zygote!

The Daz Dog 8 isn't clunky to be honest its pretty close in quality to the Hivewire dog and has other breeds so unfortunately its usefulness is greater. And where do you get that Daz doesn't support its figures. Most of the bases are released with more content than other figures get in years.

Hornet3d

Wise
Are you not aware that the Hivewire figures work in DS. And people wonder why its a common misconception that Hivewire is Poser only, a myth probably bore out by all the negativity towards Daz and DS.

I don't have any negativity to Daz and still shop there on a regular basis but I only buy Poser content so I tend to search for Poser items and scan those few artists that still produce content for Poser. Due to this fact I have little basis to make any comparisons between Poser and Daz figures. My own personal view is that a lot of people are not anti Daz or Hivewire3D but in the 'I tried it once and didn't like it camp'. They tried the original Dawn and didn't like and has either forgotten she exists or assumed nothing has changed, a common human trait. That and the belief that Dawn does not work in Poser limits the potential customer base for Hivewire3d for, good as any animals are the first draw for many artists are the human figures. The only way this is to change is for the Hivewire team to continue to produce top quality figures and for the rest of us to show that, not only do the figures work in Poser, they are stunning in DS too.

Many 3D artists run on a very tight budget and are not going to buy something because of the hype, those of us already sold on Hiveway quality need to show what can be done with the figures at the hands of the average user irrespective of the program used.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
I don't have any negativity to Daz and still shop there on a regular basis but I only buy Poser content so I tend to search for Poser items and scan those few artists that still produce content for Poser. Due to this fact I have little basis to make any comparisons between Poser and Daz figures. My own personal view is that a lot of people are not anti Daz or Hivewire3D but in the 'I tried it once and didn't like it camp'. They tried the original Dawn and didn't like and has either forgotten she exists or assumed nothing has changed, a common human trait. That and the belief that Dawn does not work in Poser limits the potential customer base for Hivewire3d for, good as any animals are the first draw for many artists are the human figures. The only way this is to change is for the Hivewire team to continue to produce top quality figures and for the rest of us to show that, not only do the figures work in Poser, they are stunning in DS too.

Many 3D artists run on a very tight budget and are not going to buy something because of the hype, those of us already sold on Hiveway quality need to show what can be done with the figures at the hands of the average user irrespective of the program used.

Well said.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I never cared for DAZ's marketing, and said so numerous times on the DAZ forums over the years. I found it too heavy handed, with too many constant sales with constantly fluctuating sales prices. Too many times, I'd purchase something on sale, only to have it go on a deeper discount sale the following week. But that's neither here nor there. While I always felt DAZ products were high quality and shopped almost exclusively at DAZ, I can't speak to DAZ's current quality because the DAZ vendors pretty much stopped supporting Poser with new content. That's why I stopped shopping at DAZ, and no longer consider DAZ a viable brokerage anymore. Granted, I'm also not a fan of the current owners or current management. But again, that's neither here nor there.

I think people are able to create amazing art with both DAZ Studio, just as they can with Poser. I admire anyone who is able to effectively use and understand both Poser and DAZ Studio. I can't. DAZ Studio makes little to no sense to me, and I find both DS lighting and the workspace confusing. I couldn't use DS4 on the monitor I had at the time it was released, and was never able to get enough workspace without having to constantly open and close panels. That might not be an issue anymore now that I have a wide screen monitor, but I doubt DS has gotten any easier to learn for ME. And I started out with DS and used it for a good year regularly, and Poser intermittently so you'd think it would be Poser that had me scratching my head in dismay. But I finally realized Poser clicked, DS didn't, and that's all she wrote. Well, not really, because I continued to try to use DS for some years until after DS4 came out.

We can all speculate as to who is encouraging the falsehoods about HiveWire, HiveWire figures, and what software HiveWire does or doesn't support. But it's all just speculation. All we can do is to correct that misinformation when we encounter it. I believe most people who continue to spread this misinformation have never bothered to try the HiveWire figures. Some of those people are Poser users, some are DS users.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me that people who support HiveWire would be actively involved in harming HiveWire ... which is exactly what that misinformation is intended to do.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE

No you don't seem to have any negativity towards DS or Daz but there are some here and elswhere that do and several of the comments in this thread bear that out.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me that people who support HiveWire would be actively involved in harming HiveWire ... which is exactly what that misinformation is intended to do.

Carmen Indorato said '' So they sell their tired old animals. Except for a few most fall much short to yours Chris and those D/S users have to use something....right?''

This implies that DS users can't use the Hivewire animals.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
English is not the native language for a lot of people here, and some people are better at expressing themselves in writing than other people. It's just too easy to read insults into comments when you don't have visual cues. I also try not to take comments at face value when I read posts from people I know have very strong opinions one way or the other. It's why my team mate at work and I get along so well (I'm a bleeding heart liberal, he's a conservative) and are even able to talk politics without resorting to fisticuffs.

I do not take Carmen Indorato's statement as implying DS users cannot use HiveWire animals. So many people use DS/DAZ interchangeably, calling DAZ 3D the company/store DS and DAS Studio the software DAZ, that I tend not to get hung up on the labels. Someone who only shops at DAZ isn't going to be purchasing HiveWire animals and will be limited to those animals available in the DAZ store, and that was the way I took Carmen Indorato's comment.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Ouch... ok everyone how about we all chill some:) What I was wanting to say is that I will have to try out the new Daz Studio strand based hair system myself to see what kind of results I can achieve as the dbc2 promos shown are not selling me yet. I do know dForce Hair will not be available to me, but for fur that shouldn't be any real issue. (Would have been nice for Harry manes and tails but oh well...) I am hoping it is as much faster/easier for end users as they are claiming, rather than having to do the whole LAMH to obj for Iray. (And REALLY hoping the styling tools are as easy to use as the LAMH ones.) Now I just need to download and install the whole sideshow and start messing with it:)

Hornet3d

Wise
No you don't seem to have any negativity towards DS or Daz but there are some here and elswhere that do and several of the comments in this thread bear that out.

We all have our likes and dislikes, I for one would not shop at one particular market place if it was the only one left selling Poser content for no other reason than the way I was treated in the past so yes, everyone is going to be negative about something often for some very personal reasons.

Hornet3d

Wise
I never cared for DAZ's marketing, and said so numerous times on the DAZ forums over the years. I found it too heavy handed, with too many constant sales with constantly fluctuating sales prices. Too many times, I'd purchase something on sale, only to have it go on a deeper discount sale the following week. But that's neither here nor there. While I always felt DAZ products were high quality and shopped almost exclusively at DAZ, I can't speak to DAZ's current quality because the DAZ vendors pretty much stopped supporting Poser with new content. That's why I stopped shopping at DAZ, and no longer consider DAZ a viable brokerage anymore. Granted, I'm also not a fan of the current owners or current management. But again, that's neither here nor there.

I think people are able to create amazing art with both DAZ Studio, just as they can with Poser. I admire anyone who is able to effectively use and understand both Poser and DAZ Studio. I can't. DAZ Studio makes little to no sense to me, and I find both DS lighting and the workspace confusing. I couldn't use DS4 on the monitor I had at the time it was released, and was never able to get enough workspace without having to constantly open and close panels. That might not be an issue anymore now that I have a wide screen monitor, but I doubt DS has gotten any easier to learn for ME. And I started out with DS and used it for a good year regularly, and Poser intermittently so you'd think it would be Poser that had me scratching my head in dismay. But I finally realized Poser clicked, DS didn't, and that's all she wrote. Well, not really, because I continued to try to use DS for some years until after DS4 came out.

We can all speculate as to who is encouraging the falsehoods about HiveWire, HiveWire figures, and what software HiveWire does or doesn't support. But it's all just speculation. All we can do is to correct that misinformation when we encounter it. I believe most people who continue to spread this misinformation have never bothered to try the HiveWire figures. Some of those people are Poser users, some are DS users.

I stopped shopping there for some time but then I found that I could pick up some old, but high quality content, from those vendors that are now only working with DS at 55%- 75% discount. A prospect I decided not to give up on. There are also some vendors making great poser content, Petipet, Merlin and Jack Tomalin to name just a few.

Hornet3d

Wise
Ouch... ok everyone how about we all chill some:) What I was wanting to say is that I will have to try out the new Daz Studio strand based hair system myself to see what kind of results I can achieve as the dbc2 promos shown are not selling me yet. I do know dForce Hair will not be available to me, but for fur that shouldn't be any real issue. (Would have been nice for Harry manes and tails but oh well...) I am hoping it is as much faster/easier for end users as they are claiming, rather than having to do the whole LAMH to obj for Iray. (And REALLY hoping the styling tools are as easy to use as the LAMH ones.) Now I just need to download and install the whole sideshow and start messing with it:)

I wish you luck and i am interested to see how you get on, even though I only use Poser I still have and interest int 3D art in general.

Ivory Elephant

Adventurous
Ok guys I am sorry I caused such a ruckus on Laurie's thread. I will just keep my options to myself since I rally have nothing of significance to contribute. Laurie once again I'm sorry for causing a commotion on your thread.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE

Personally I found Garibaldi much much easier to use than LAMH (the strand hair in DS is based upon Garibaldi) I also found it much more stable. I can't get LAMH to even install on my new machine let alone work.
I wouldn't disagree with the promos for the Daz Big Cat 2 being particularly inspiring but not every one is brilliant at promos and the that vendor is pretty new he is also very supportive of his products and tends to things that are a bit unusual rather than the average run of the mil stuff.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Ok guys I am sorry I caused such a ruckus on Laurie's thread. I will just keep my options to myself since I rally have nothing of significance to contribute. Laurie once again I'm sorry for causing a commotion on your thread.

No worries! I know how easy it is to get going on stuff like this (LOL believe me- I rant to myself a lot..I've even invented some new 3d-specific curse words:) I just didn't want it all to turn into the "old war"...we've all been there and done that..

Smile everyone! And have a great weekend! Time for me to get back to farm chores...

Hornet3d

Wise

We all have personal opinions and you were only responding to another post so I don't see you should be overly worried. As CWRW has said, we all rant at times and we also, mostly unknowingly and unintentionally, push other peoples buttons. Again as CWRW said, smile and have a good weekend, after all it is only art.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Farm chores? That may be one of the times I'm actually glad to live in the city.

Kitty chores are enough for me! She needs to learn to use the toilet. I bought her an automatic sensor faucet adapter since she loves to drink out of the faucet, but I still need to install it. It's not something maintenance will do (Sad face), and I'm putting off digging out my tools from the closet.