• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Cloth Sim Tools

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Hey all...

So, I have been working on my dynamic cloth creation suite for a while now (when time permits), and I finally settled on two tessellation methods. One for interactive unstructured triangles (Marvelous Designer type), and one for quadrangle remeshing.

The triangle addon is a modified version of the great 'Triangle' wrapper by Tom Svilans. I was working on porting an earlier Blender 2.49 'Triangle' script, but Tom did most of the work already, so I just modified it to be interactive, and exposed some of the other Triangle flags. I still need to complete the 'holes' integration (not working yet), but for the most part, it is viable.

The quad mesher I settled on is a command line remesher named ArtMesh. It's free for personal usage (though, limited to input resolution [6000 cells], and on a timed release schedule akin to UV Layout), and is reasonably priced for Indie/hobbyist/freelancers, and and academics. Full commercial (big) studio pricing seems to be as expected.

I was trying to utilize Instant Meshes for the quad remeshing, but no matter what flags are set in code, it always fails without user interaction, refusing to respect bounding borders, hard edges, etc. Still viable when one wants to perform the quad flow themselves.

Here are some examples of both in use (still WIP staging):

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I know at least one of our members had an animated avatar before joining HiveWire, and had to change it to a static version on our forum. I'm not sure if that was a condition of the software used for this forum, or whether it was something Lisa decided when she first setup the forum.

In any case, these GIFs look interesting. Are you going to keep them separate, or are you going to combine them into one full animation start to finish?

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
Yeah, the forums don't seem to want any animated GIF's any longer. Previously, in the Make Pillow addon thread, I was able to upload animated GIF's to HW, but failed when I released my ClothWeaver supplemental addon. So, with this thread I thought I would use a different approach, and just link to the GIF's (not uploaded/hosted by HW), but even that fails.

HW just doesn't like animated GIF's, now, which is a shame, because sometimes it is what is needed to better illustrate functionality of something...

To answer your question, though, Miss B, no, I am not going to combine them into a proper animation. But, I might create small animations of each separate addons at a later time when they are ready for release. I just need to find out how to reactivate my defunct Youtube account...