• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Blender exporting to poser

eclark1894

Visionary
I've mentioned it before. Used to happen a lot while I was working on Dawn's house. Speaking of which, my resolution for the new year is to finish that damn house.:sneaky:

Lobo3433

Admirable
The rotation and scale does freeze all transformation it is similar to the freeze command in Maya which has to have the freeze command applied before export so when imported into another application like Poser or Daz they line up and come in placed in the right location and not scattered all over a scene I think applying the rotation and scale is forgotten often because if you build a scene in Blender to render in Blender this is does not always need to be applied but when exporting to other apps where how they read obj's and fbx files are not universal applying it in your modeler will save you headaches much later down the road

eclark1894

Visionary
I read somewhere within the last few weeks, that import a full sized object from Blender to Poser is about 38% of scale. Frankly, I've found it to be closer to 10-20 %. In any case, That's why I prefer modeling around my Poser figures by importing their object files into Blender. What I would LIKE though is a way to set up my Blender world to match my Poser world scale by default.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I agree Earl, as any time I've tried modeling clothing in Blender, or Silo for that matter, I always import my character's OBJ, or I should say, a copy of it. I don't export the OBJ from Poser, as I never know if it's going to be exactly the same.

As far as setting up Blender's world scale to be like Poser's world/universe scale, I'm not sure if that can be done. You should try asking that over in the Blender Forum at Renderosity, as Lobo's the moderator, and there's quite a few very knowledgeable folks who hang out there.

eclark1894

Visionary
I agree Earl, as any time I've tried modeling clothing in Blender, or Silo for that matter, I always import my character's OBJ, or I should say, a copy of it. I don't export the OBJ from Poser, as I never know if it's going to be exactly the same.

For the sake of anyone who's new to modeling, and/or Poser and 3 D in general, I should clarify something. When you export an object from one program to another, you are only exporting a virtual or 3D copy of that object to the other program. Your original object is safe and sound wherever you stored it, unless you do something like delete it or overwrite it. Don't do either of those unless you WANT to get rid of the object.

untitled.png
:sneaky:

Steve.M

Enthusiast
I read somewhere within the last few weeks, that import a full sized object from Blender to Poser is about 38% of scale. Frankly, I've found it to be closer to 10-20 %. In any case, That's why I prefer modeling around my Poser figures by importing their object files into Blender. What I would LIKE though is a way to set up my Blender world to match my Poser world scale by default.

Working in Blender to 1 unit=1 meter, you can export to Poser at a scale(in blender obj export options) of 0.4101 (poser 10)

Steve.M

Enthusiast
Forgot to add (forum will not let me edit last post)
That scale from Blender to Poser is based on Dusk being 1.92 meters tall (actual 1.91771 meters)

Miss B

CV-BEE
The forum has a set amount of time for editing posts, though I can't recall off-hand how long it is.

That said, thanks for the tip, as that's good to know.

Lobo3433

Admirable
If I recall and I could be off on this but Poser's default scaling leans more to imperial inches and feet where Daz Studio is more to metric Poser figures using imperial measurements here is a link to some useful scale info that is a bit dated but can still be useful for those wishing to model for Poser and Daz Studio English Bob has allot of useful information on this site so it is one that I would highly recommended you bookmark Scale of Models in Poser

Miss B

CV-BEE
I have a lot of bookmarks to his site, but not that one, so thanks for the link. :)

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
That is a great resource for newbies. English Bob, along with Dr Jeep, was (and still is) essential for learning things in Poserverse.

I found one thing odd on the exchange list, though. My settings for Blender has always been as Steve.M above listed (1 unit = 1 Meter), but Bob has it listed as 1 unit = 50 cm. I have never changed mine, but was wondering if perhaps that dates back to the Blender 2.4x series. I haven't played in 2.49 in quite awhile, so I don't remember, but was it possibly changed for the 2.5 series?

Miss B

CV-BEE
Good question DaremoK, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that played with the old 2.4x Blender versions. ;)

Steve.M

Enthusiast
I found one thing odd on the exchange list, though. My settings for Blender has always been as Steve.M above listed (1 unit = 1 Meter), but Bob has it listed as 1 unit = 50 cm. I have never changed mine, but was wondering if perhaps that dates back to the Blender 2.4x series. I haven't played in 2.49 in quite awhile, so I don't remember, but was it possibly changed for the 2.5 series?

Blender 2.4x only used [blender] units, so you would work to grid settings (ie: if you wanted to work to inches, you would change grid divisions to 12).
In DS, it has option to export .obj to Blender, and that shows 1 unit = 50cm, I do not know where that unit measurement came from.

In current Blender, by default, there are no units set (set to none). You can change them in [properties window] "Scene >> Units".

ArtisanS

Contributing Artist
Hmzzzz,

Personally I'm a DAZ user......from DAZ to Blender = 0.0002 and back again is 5000, for me that works fine. And 1 unit is usually 50 cm.....except for building a BB8 droid (bored to death during X-max :-, one of the perks of living single) since BB is rather small I build the droid at 1 unit is 1 meter scale (so I had to upscale him/her/it (there is an ongoing discussion) 2500 times to fit (a BB8 sphere is 51 cm in diameter and the head is 30 cm). But Blender is, as many users, as many ways of working, whatever floats your boat.

BTW, the Blender to Substance Painter pathway is more or less the same.....but I'm still optimizing my SP skills......but thanks to a stupid mishap I found the reproject UV funtion....it ROCKS.....it's a life saver, it should be awarded a medal.....!

BTW 2.0, if you merge a set of verteces in Blender 3D view, they don't merge in UV view......how unexpected.....since it leave crap UV that even SP can't make chocolate out of (but okay, lesson learned).

Greet, Ed.

BB8CyclesSmall.jpg

DaremoK3

Enthusiast
That's interesting...

I am both, a Poser, and a DS user with Blender. I forgot about the DS settings being 50cm, and I even created two presets for Blender with ArtisanS' same specs (one is for quick bridge I created in Blender).

I believe I am now aware of my confusion as to the 1 unit = 1 meter or 50 cm dilemma. I was going from memory of using the measuring tools on the default Blender Cube which yielded 1 meter per edge. But, it is at world zero with 1 Blender unit (grid) on either side (from center). In this case, each grid square is set to 50 cm, and times two equals 100 cm or 1 meter.

ArtisanS:

If you built at 1 meter, and 1 meter = 100 cm, why did you need to scale up 2500 times to make the spheres yield the correct cm's? I'm not saying it wasn't clearly necessary in your case. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the math. Oh, and that is a fantastic looking BB8!

Last edited:

ArtisanS

Contributing Artist
Because I'm a certified lazy you know what. So I build 2x as big but keep the original scale........hence I have to remember to scale things down on import (to much lazyness makes realy threatening BB's). This morning I'm trying to make Substance Designer and DAZ to play nice using MDL.......hmzzzz, the first results are promesing. And if an old U2 song has some truth in it tomorrow, I will make progress on that one to0.....

Greets and thanks, ArtisanS

And a happy 2018;)