• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Artistic Resources

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
To add to this, I'm the official photographer for the Wessex Heavy Horse Society, and have many year's worth of photographs of heavy horses, including shires (including some of the foal in my icon, now all grown up and competing in harness classes). All ages, with and without harness and vehicles. I got started with that by going to their show to take reference photographs of harness, in fact. Made the mistake of asking if they had a website... and the even bigger mistake, when they said they didn't have one, of asking if they wanted one... never volunteer, you get sucked in...

Anyway, if there's something specific you wanted a reference photo of regarding heavy horse breeds and their equipment, if I don't already have it I can probably arrange to take it. The photos online already are not up to date, but can be seen here: Photo Gallery

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Nice!

HaiGan, do you know what breed the Chestnut heavies (with no feathers) are? They are nice!

Had a look Dax, the one that has a page with old style Shires, gee they were really heavy! :balloon03:

HaiGan

Energetic
Contributing Artist
Those may be Suffolks, Rae, also sometimes referred to as Suffolk Punches, named for the county of Suffolk in the area where they were developed. They are the only breed where the colour is officially called 'chesnut' rather than chestnut, and the stud-book is the oldest one in Britain, predating even the thoroughbred one. There's a small stud-farm a few miles away from where I live, I go and help out there sometimes. Another breed with minimal feather and chestnut colouring is the Belgian, although that can come in other colours as well depending on the breed registry/country.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
ahh thanks HaiGan, I think they must be Suffolks, they didn't look heavy enough to be Belgians. They're really nice :D
(I had an online friend that had a Suffolk/American Saddlebred, awesome looking horse)