• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

3DCoat is saving the day

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Sorry but I still don't understand what that means Dreamer. Can you explain it in dummy language please?
Some programs are now being set up so they have to be able to access the internet all the time to work. I have the computer I use for 3D art and creation isolated from the internet so programs that need a connection wont work. After loosing a lot of work off my old art computer that was connected to the internet I wont run the risk of it happening again.

Some programs are now being set up so they have to be able to access the internet all the time to work
This would be 3DCoat. When I installed the trial there was info about using and registering the app. I have the same rule as you do, absolutely no internet connection to my workstation. To risky for sure. Some people have bought the app without confirming this and it has led to this problem. So I won't be getting it. Too bad, it seems really cool. Autodesk MudBox has the same fool problem. DARN!
Well the 3DCoat user manual is really good and it gave me some insight into different ways of doing things so it was worth downloading after all.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I think once you register 3DCoat you don't have to have an internet connection. I'm not seeing what your seeing from that thread.

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
This would be 3DCoat. When I installed the trial there was info about using and registering the app. I have the same rule as you do, absolutely no internet connection to my workstation. To risky for sure. Some people have bought the app without confirming this and it has led to this problem. So I won't be getting it. Too bad, it seems really cool. Autodesk MudBox has the same fool problem. DARN!
Well the 3DCoat user manual is really good and it gave me some insight into different ways of doing things so it was worth downloading after all.

Ah yes I get it now.

The 3D painter feature is the most curious aspect to me. Must be what 3D coat started out as, from the name. I looked at some posts about Substance Painter and checked it out but it doesn't look very good.
I use a different approach to the UV seam problem, move the seams. So for instance if I were to make a tattoo I would only work with the region of polygons where the tattoo goes, and make a separate UV map for those. Here is an example of what happens. (Not very creative tattoo, just quick demo thing)...
M4 back tat2 2.jpg

M4 back tat2 1.jpg

M4 back tat2 3.jpg

I think once you register 3DCoat you don't have to have an internet connection. I'm not seeing what your seeing from that thread.
I'm not seeing it. Never got past demo mode since I decided not to buy. There are some other threads there that demonstrate that 3DCoat keeps needing an internet connection. The idea is that it can check to make sure you're not using it on two machines at once or otherwise violating the licensing agreement. These software companies are getting silly.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
So, concerning the internet connectivity concern for registering. I created a thread there about this and this was the response I got:

3DC connects to the internet, as you said, when you first install and register the license. It will check occasionally to see if the license is valid, if there is an internet connection. If there is not one, it does not matter. It does not need a persistent connection to the internet.

So you can install it, register it, and forget about it.

David

Adventurous
Contributing Artist
I regularly use 3dCoat. My work machine is only rarely connected to the internet. 3dCoat does not need constant connection to the internet to work. I am using the latest version and all is well. As RAMWolff shows, you do need the internet to to register it, but after that everything works fine.